In the heart of Lisbon
Since it is built on a series of hills, Lisbon has numerous viewpoints to offer for great time outs. There is for instance a huge public park in the heart of Lisbon. It occupies an area of 26 hectares to the north of Avenida da Liberdade and Marquis of Pombal square. It is named after King Edward VII, King of the United Kingdom, of Great Britain, Ireland, and Emperor of India from 1901 until his death in 1910. After he visited the Portuguese capital in 1903 in an effort to strengthen relations between the two countries and reaffirm the Anglo-Portuguese aalliance. Up until this specific visit, the park was called 'Parque da Liberdade' (Liberty Park). The name would have made very little sense anyway under the Salazar dictatorship between 1933 and 1974. The park's current configuration and design date back to an intervention of Portuguese Modernist architect Francisco Keil do Amaral.